Letting go – over the full moon
Most of us are affected by the moon, especially when it’s in its last cycles of being a full moon. This is when you hear people say “all the crazies come out”. Not only do the crazies come out, but those who are spiritually in tune also start to feel the force of the full moon. Actually, everybody and anybody starts to feel the affects of the moon days before it’s actually full.
I am extremely affected by the moon and have always been surrounded by people who are too. I either find it hard to sleep or I sleep extremely hard – to the point where it feels like I am not dreaming, but sometimes the dreams are so vivid and intense that I can play them back scene for scene. This hardly ever happens though – I’m not great at remembering my dreams. But when it does happen, it’s normally a very loud and clear message.
Starting the new year off with a supermoon and now ending January with another supermoon means what we are now having our third full moon supermoons in a row. The last one was 3rd Dec 2017, then 1st Jan 2018 and now 31st Jan – this is a super blue moon total eclipse. And the fact that this one being the last full super blue moon for the year, for me personally isn’t a coincidence (what a tongue twister). It’s known as a blue moon because it’s the second full moon to fall in one calendar month. Full moons cleanse us, especially if we want to be cleansed. And to end the year with a supermoon, and start the year with TWO supermoons – well come on, it’s just pretty obvious what we need to do.
No matter the blessings of year end or the new blessings that you have already endured in the first month of the year, there is always something you want to let go off. Yes, definitely count your blessings, but also start your year letting go of anything that possibly held you back last year, that continues to worry you, that deters you from your dreams, that makes you feel just that little bit insecure. It’s time to let it go.
Now for some this is mumbo jumbo voodoo ish… but it really isn’t though. This is just connecting with mother earth, connecting with your surroundings, connecting with self and connecting with the universe. Most of us do it all the time without realising and you don’t need to be a specific religion to do this. However, if your religion is strict on what you can and cannot do, then that too is fine. You can google loads of different full moon rituals to do, most are the same and some are same same but different.
The main key here is to know what you want to let go of, how you want to continue to the year and what you need in order to move forward. I’d recommend spending the day listening to yourself and your intuition.
I myself am definitely doing a ritual this evening. Now being in London has sucked a little a lot during the last two supermoons because it’s been overcast and I haven’t been able to truly bask in the beauty of the moon. However, I have definitely felt their awesomeness. Guess to a degree I’ve been a little bleak about it because I love nothing more than to photograph the moon. So fingers crossed that tonight we have sparse clouds and more moon and even if we don’t, as long as it doesn’t rain then I’m a happy chappy because I want to be out there under the moon letting go of things than no longer serve me so this new year can bring more abundance into my life. And it will only do that when I am truly ready and I feel like I am ready.
A full moon ritual can be done on every full moon, so if you can’t do the super blue moon tonight, then that’s okay too, do the next full moon. Or even do the new moon which has to do with creation, manifestation, birth, and rebirth. The full moon completes the cycle. The full moon symbolizes the end chapter, shedding light on the things that we no longer need to hold on to.
This is the ritual that I am going to do, but as I mentioned earlier on you can google any ritual and do the one that feels right for you. Or better yet, use your intuition to guide you.
Full Moon Ritual:
You’ll need the following
- One smudge stick and/or incense (your favourite scent)
- One crystal (either moonstone or rose quartz) – this isn’t essential but if you do have one even better. I’ll be using a rose quartz crystal tonight because I don’t have a moonstone and rose quartz allows me to connect even deeper to my guides, angels and God.
- Candle – you can have more than one
- Piece(s) of paper and pen
- Two bowls / two steel pots
It’s best to do the ritual outside under the moon, however if you do not have a garden, can’t be outside in a park near by or it’s raining etc. then you can do this ritual in your home. No matter where you do it, make sure the space around you is safe and sacred. If you’re doing this at home, make sure your room is decluttered and clean allowing energy to naturally flow through it.
- Take a deep breath in and out – do this three times.
- Use the smudge stick to cleanse your surroundings and then cleanse yourself. Start at the crown of your head working all the way down and around your body until you get to your feet. Feel your feet grounded to mother earth (if you can be barefoot, then definitely be)
- Light your candle(s)
- Fill the one bowl/pot with water and place the other next to it.
- Fire burns the old and water cleanses and washes away allowing for the new to come in.
- Connect with your crystal by holding it in your hand for a few minutes while taking deep breathes and intentionally connecting.
- Find a way to keep the crystal on yourself throughout the ritual. Ladies you can put it in your bra so it’s closest to your heart, or if it’s a necklace then wear it. You can even put it in your pocket.
- Write down everything you want to let go of (all that no longer serves you) on the piece of paper. Date and sign the page.
- No matter how long or how short the list, right with intent to let go.
- Some prefer to read their list out loud, whilst others prefer to do this internally. Do what is best for you.
- Take a deep breath, deep into your heart and whilst holding your paper say out loud “I now let this all go, and so it is”
- Use the flame of the candle to burn the paper and then toss it in the empty bowl/pot to burn away whilst watching the flames consume all that you are releasing and the smoke of the fire taking your intention to the Universe.
- They say, if the paper burns fast then you are more willing to let go, however if the paper struggles to burn, then ask yourself how ready are you to let go?
- The paper will only burn when you are fully ready. Don’t force, try again next full moon.
- Place your hands into the bowl/pot with water and take a deep breath.
- You have just burned the old, washed it away and opened yourself up to the new.
- Sit for a moment and let allow yourself to be present.
I truly hope you manage to let go off all that no longer serves you. May you go forth into the rest of this year with clear intent and may all your wishes and dreams come true.
This is the last ‘not so full’ supermoon that I managed to capture.
I literally just missed it because it was pouring down with rain in the beginning of Jan.
Nonetheless, I felt like I needed to leave you with something original from me.
Happy Full Moon!
Sending you an abundance of love and light